Before we create your child’s naming ceremony, here are some things for you to think about and discuss.
- What are the promises you wish to make to your child? Choose promises that have special meaning for you.
- Will the child’s Grandparents be involved?
- Who else would you like involved in the ceremony? Consider asking people who your child will see regularly and who will have a good and positive influence over their life. If you wish, these adults can be referred to as Godparents, Mentors or Guardians and should feel honoured to be asked to take on this role. As this role carries with it certain responsibilities, choose people with care and talk to them about the promises they feel they will be able to make.
- Are there any family members and / or friends who will be absent on the day that you would like to make special mention of during the ceremony? Do they have any words that they would like to have read out on their behalf?
- Are there any significant poems, readings, songs or stories that you would like to incorporate?
- Would you like to give your child a special gift during the ceremony to hold onto and cherish in years to come?
- Do your family and friends have any other ideas or suggestions that you would like to incorporate?
With this information on hand, we will be able to tailor a ceremony to suit your needs and style, one that is unique to you and your child through the promises, readings and rituals you choose.
Naming your Child
Create a Special Ceremony
Structure for Ceremony